Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Women Artist Predjudices

I was reminded the other day of the interesting biases there are against women artists. One of the ones I had forgotten is that some galleries won't look at older women artists' work ...especially if they are "emerging" artists. However, they are interested in emerging "young" women artists. This is a very limited as well as uneducated view to take in my opinion. Many women artists, myself included, marry and have children, husbands, or other responsibilities that require a major commitment of their time. Their art may have to be on hold as they do other creative and important things. Their emergence back into the arts may have to come later in their lives when they can devote more time to their art. What they may lack in youth they have gained in maturity and life experiences.
Breakfast Club, oil
I find it sad that some galleries have this flawed perception. They may be missing the next Georgia O'Keefe.

No comments: