Friday, October 1, 2010

Collecting Art

My husband and I have been collecting art and fine craft for many years. We began collecting fine craft because of its affordability and then moved into paintings. We often found that good galleries would offer a layaway plan which helped us purchase pieces that were out of our budget. We often purchase a painting as a multi-gift ( birthdays, anniversary, Christmas).
We collect art and fine craft for a variety of reasons. We may know the artist or I have studied with the artist. The artwork may remind us of a place we have lived or have visited.
Late Afternoon, 14x18", oil. Amy Evans
We have few regrets as to our purchases...our artwork always has a life of its own. Each time I gaze at a piece I see it in a new way. Original art does that. It seems to have a spirit to it.
Why do you collect art? Or do you? If not... why?

No comments: